- Sets policy
- Approves annual budget and plans for capital improvements
- Determines tax rate
- Along with the Mayor appoints City Administrator, City Secretary, Municipal court judges, and citizen boards and commissions
- Issues and sells municipal bonds
- Purchases and sells property
- Establishes City departments
- Holds monthly council meetings
- Approves City ordinances
- Determines City services
Meetings are open to the general public. If you wish to speak to City Council at a meeting, you must sign in upon entering the meeting. Below are some tips to have a successful meeting presentation:
- State your name and full address at the start of your presentation. There will be a podium and microphone. Also, note all meetings audio are recorded for public records.
- The best presentations about the issue under discussion are to the point.
- Presentations by individuals are limited to a total of 3 minutes (CRP 5.4.2g) Individuals may sign up to speak one time; however, multiple subjects may be discussed in your 3-minute timeframe.
- If your point has been made by previous speakers, feel free to inform the Mayor that you do not need to speak because your point had been made. You can make a simple statement from your seat such as the following: “I do not wish to speak. My point has been made.”
- If you plan to present Council with information, have the materials organized and ready to present to the City Secretary who will distribute it to Council, and begin your presentation immediately.
- Address your remarks to the whole Council, rather than to a specific member.
- The City Secretary tracks time. When the 3-minute timeframe has ended, the City Secretary will raise her hand to indicate you must conclude your presentation.
If you would like to request an agenda item to be added to the City Council agenda, please fill out the Request to Speak Before the City Council Form by clicking on the link below before 5:00p.m., on the Tuesday, week prior to the meeting. You may also visit City Hall to fill out the form in person.
104 E. Second Street
Maypearl, TX 76064